Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Christmas Clothing Memories

Robin: One Christmas Dad had been in Los Angeles and he brought home some presents.  Mom had Pam and I blindfolded while she tried some shoes on us to see if they were the right size.

We knew they were shoes, so that was no surprise, but what color were they?  What were they made of?  I'll let Pam answer those questions. 

Pam: I have no memory of shoes, but Robin says I peeked. She will need to explain my devious nature.

Robin:  I'm surprised that Pam doesn't remember this.  It's very vivid in my memory.  Pam tried on the shoes first while I waited in the bedroom.  When it was my turn, I dutifully put on the blindfold and closed my eyes tightly.  The shoes were snug.

What I didn't find out till later was that Pam was peeking around the corner of the room and saw exactly what color the shoes were and what they were made of.  No secret or surprise there.  We were receiving black velveteen shoes - kinda classy.

Pam: Ahhh, I do remember velveteen shoes, but not trying them on. We wore them to Grandma Keller Manning's house in Clearfield, Utah on Christmas day along with black velvet pants and sweaters with angora trim. Mom wanted us to look swanky, but I was extremely uncomfortable because I had been warned not to crush the velvet or spill on it.




We are wearing the sweaters in this picture.  I am in the turquoise one sitting next to Aunt Faye and Tamara.  Pam is on the floor in the burnt orange sweater sitting next to a scowling Glenn and Uncle Reg.  Valerie is in front in orange (doesn't she look cute?) and Grandma Keller (Manning) is next to new husband Roy Manning in back.

No comments:

Post a Comment